Monday, June 4, 2007

Wednesday night comedy at the PIT

Finally! Something to do on a WEDNESDAY night! Ben and I, frequenters of the amazing ASSSSCAT 3000, found ourself bored last Wednesday night and in need of a laugh. Luckily the People's Improv Theater (aka The Pit) hosts a comedy palooza on Wednesday nights to suit our comic needs. At 7 there's a one man show followed by four in-house improv teams, two at 8 and two more at 9 30, lastly there's something called the impodrome at 11. Now there are definitely some positives about this place, one being you don't have to show up 2 hours in advance to get tickets (a mere 15 minutes seemed to do for the 8pm show which ben and I frequented) and the theater is tiny meaning that you can see and hear all the action with ease. But, well, there was just something MISSING. The two groups we saw at 8 (Big Black Cat and Fancy Dragon) were, well, just less than a sixteenth of a hair off but it made a difference. Don't get me wrong, there were times that I laughed and it was well worth an hour of free time, but there was something which didn't catch me falling off my seat even after I've waited 2 hours in line for a partial view lack of hearing side seat at UCBT. In the end, their attempts at being un-PC made even Ben uncomfortable (which I thought was impossible) and their goofier spoofed fell short. Worth the buck donation but Sunday nights will continue to rule my guttural laugh in comedy land.

At the Pit on 29th between 6th and 7th aves. Shows at 7, 8, 9 30 and 11. Free baby!

No comments: