Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Because it's SPRING (AWAKENING)

Alright, I waited an entire week before I GUSHED about my new favorite Broadway musical....


SPRING AWAKENING!

I think it now goes down as my most-frequented NYC cheap event as I have been a whopping four times (beating out Rent in my Bway count) and have, honestly, thought I enjoy it more and more each time. Not only is it fresh and provides some amazing tunes (it's all I listen to in finals mode) but the cast is young, the choreography is modern and the stories, while jolted from time to time, are compelling.

About teenage rebellion and SEX this show brings us back to 1891 Germany (when the original play was written) where teens are suppressed, molested, horny, curious and pissed (when are they not?) The information is limited and their bodies are raring. There are many parts which could be done better (the use of a homosexual relationship as comic relief, the taking out of the original clear date rape scene etc), there are still parts more honest than most plays I have seen and it's FRESH. To be honest, I wasn't overwhelmed the first time but after I went home I found the songs permeating through my mind (see a music video here) and I felt compelled to go back. Second time was the charm, third and forth too. STAY AFTER and be a theater nerd and chat with the amazingly nice and down to earth cast and become addicted.

For 26.25 student tickets bring ID and CASH to the theater on 49th between Broadway and 8th. Box office opens 10am M-S and noon on Sundays. Get there a good two hours beforehand as they reserve student seats for every show but it is v, popular. OH! and if you get "partial view" seats, ask for ones on audience right, you'll miss less that way.

just GO, seriously, actually go TWICE (it's WAYYY better times two, or at least learn the songs before hand (they're on itunes).

2 comments:

Julie said...

I just saw this a couple weeks ago and am totally addicted to the music now. But what was the original clear date rape scene you're talking about??

L.A. said...

Hi Julie,

In the original version of the play the sex scene between Melchior and Wendla is portrayed as a more forceful date-rape like scene. When the show was off broadway, the interpretation was similar (or so I was told and have read) but they made the switch to the more consensual (though still arguably date rape) scene that takes place in the show today (ie when Wendla places Melchior's hand on her breast).