Sunday, April 22, 2007

Jiaozi jiaozi jiaozi! (dumplings!)

First the New Yorker, then TONY and now, I, L.A. Burke shall sing the praises of

THE DUMPLING HOUSE!

Probably my favorite and most -frequented restaurant of Manhattan, this beyond tiny shop (think half the size of Magnolia's) is home to some of the most delicious dumplings this side of Beijing. and trust me, if there is one thing I know it's my dumplings. These suckers come at five for a buck in the fried pork variety and while there are many other similar places none has found quite as near and dear a place in my heart. Here goes the list.

1) The EXPERIENCE is unbeatable. There's nothing that can bring me back to China more than small crowded spaces with shouting people who refuse to line up and who are dying for a snack. Forgo the line that draws near the door and elbow your way into a spot at the counter.
2) The SANDWICHES. Otherwise known as "niu rou bing" or sesame pancake with beef (or tuna, I like beef though!) are piping hot fluffy mounds of sesame bread goodness stuffed with beef, carrots, cilantro and a great sauce, all for a buck fifty.
3) The FROZEN DUMPLINGS are to die for, seriously I bought a bag of the veggie ones to get me through finals (five bucks for 25) and ate the entire thing in one night. Ok, I ate 16 but still, that's a lot. Hands down the best veggie dumplings in the entire city, as if the pork ones aren't enough. And beat that "vegetarians eat cheaper" fallacy and buy 30 frozen pork ones for 5 as well.

Basically, go , eat and enjoy. You'll quite possibly have one of the best meals that 3.75 can buy (five pork fried dumplings = $1, beef sesame sandwich = $1.50, peach snapple iced tea= $1.25)

Where: On Eldridge by Broome Street, look for the big red sign. You'll only find seats if you're struck by the grace of God so take your goodies down a few blocks west on Broome and stake out the picnic tables in the park while watching intramural soccer.
Take the orange line to Delancy street. Jiaozi jiaozi jiaozi!!!

No comments: